The United Nations Department of Economic and Social Affairs (UN DESA) 's Division for Public Institutions and Digital Government (DPIDG), through its Project Office on Governance (UNPOG), and in collaboration with the Ministry of the Interior and Safety (MOIS) of the Government of the Republic of Korea, is organizing the 5th Regional Symposium on "Effective Public Governance and Digital Transformation for Building Back Better," which will be held on 16 - 18 November 2021.
It is expected that over 300 participants from the Asia and Pacific region and beyond will attend the virtual event, including participants from national and local governments, international organizations, academia, schools of public administration, NGOs, and the private sector. The Regional Symposium on “Effective Governance and Digital Transformation” is a UN DESA flagship annual event. It aims to raise awareness of critical public governance issues, examine current and future trends, and provide new approaches and methodologies to support the United Nations Member States in developing their capacities toward achieving the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development. It also promotes peer-to-peer learning by providing participants with the opportunity to share knowledge and exchange innovative practices.
The 5th Regional Symposium in 2021 will also mark the 15th Anniversary of UN DESA/DPIDG/UNPOG, established in June 2006. It will provide a venue for sharing its major achievements, challenges, and the way forward in supporting Member States' efforts to develop the capacities of their public institutions.
The 5th Regional Symposium will offer a platform to:
- Discuss challenges and share lessons learned in implementing the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs).
- Examine how to promote effective governance and build capacities to address the COVID- 19 and climate change crises and build back better. Share and discuss innovative approaches to deliver effective and inclusive public services, including by leveraging digital technologies.
- Enhance the understanding of new public sector mindsets and competencies needed to foster equal and resilient societies.
- Provide new perspectives on promoting national to local governance that can ensure ownership of the SDGs by local authorities and engage all stakeholders in decision-making processes.
- Examine innovative approaches and strategies for effective data governance for digital government transformation, and monitoring and evaluation of SDG implementation.
- Uncover trends and approaches in tackling risk-informed governance, leveraging innovative technologies, and partnerships for building resilience.