The United Nations Project Office on Governance (UNPOG) of the Division for Public Institutions and Digital Government (DPIDG) of the Department of Economic and Social Affairs (UN DESA), in collaboration with the Ministry of the Interior and Safety (MOIS) and Incheon Metropolitan City of the Republic of Korea, will organise the 7th Youth Forum on SDG Implementation on 8 September 2023, under the theme Enabling Youth as Agents of Change for Digital Transformation and Inclusive Climate Action. Young people from Asia and the Pacific, East Africa and beyond will be engaged and presented the opportunity to share their ideas ahead of the Regional Symposium in October 2023.
This year, meaningful discussions and engagement with young people are essential to achieve collective action and accelerate the implementation of the SDGs. Recognising young individuals as catalysts for change, the event will centre on exploring ways to harness their potential in the era of digital transformation and will emphasise their vital role in addressing the challenges of climate change.
In addition to the Forum, the United Nations Project Office on Governance (UNPOG) will continue to provide a platform for young peoples’ ideas to be heard and involve them in the work of the UN through the Ideas for Change Contest. Under this year’s theme of Enabling Youth as Agents of Change for Effective Digital Transformation and Inclusive Climate Action, the contest will cover UNPOG’s six (6) priority action areas: i) strengthening institutions for more integrated solutions, ii) enhancing national implementation, iii) harnessing innovation and digital government, iv) bolstering local action to accelerate implementation, v) reducing disaster risk and building resilience, and vi) ensuring leaving no one behind; and will invite youth to develop and propose innovative projects related with the 6 priority action areas with the use of effective digital transformation and/or inclusive climate action.
The contest will provide an opportunity for prospective teams to share their ideas among peers and be heard by different UN agencies and other institutions to further progress and implement their project.
The 7th Youth Forum on SDG Implementation will aim to bring together the youth from Asia and the Pacific, East Africa, and beyond to:
- Engage in meaningful youth discussion that encourages young people to play an active role in digital transformation and climate action.
- Present ideas and solutions – and showcase innovative initiatives and individual and collective action by youth and others – to advance the SDGs.
- Help develop youth consciousness, creativity, and ability to take responsibility for their actions to promote and achieve the SDGs.
- Provide a platform for young people to be heard and bring innovative ideas and solutions to issues that matter to them.
- Share knowledge, skills, and lessons learned in achieving the rights and well-being of youth by promoting the accelerated implementation of the 2030 Agenda and ensuring meaningful participation and engagement of young people in policy making and implementation.